About Us

Widmer Engineering Inc. was founded in 1974 by Joseph H. Widmer. Prior to this Mr. Widmer was the director of computer systems for a large international engineering firm. What started out as a one man’s dream in 1974 has grown to a firm with 3 locations, 75 employees and generating over $5.5 million in fees per year for professional services.The organization is now a recognized contender for all engineering projects throughout western Pennsylvania. Contracts secured to date have been as small as $100 and as large as in excess of $1,000,000 over thirty months. Diversification has been a major strength of the firm. Municipal engineering, those services provided to municipalities and municipal authorities, has been the backbone of the organization. When other divisions of our organization are low in work the municipal division has always provided a steady backlog of work. Transportation engineering for the Department of Transportation has also greatly influenced our organization and provided a steady flow of work. Although not as profitable, transportation engineering generates large projects which eliminates workload peaks and valleys. In 1977, a branch office was opened in Connellsville, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. This office has become the major consulting firm in this region and represents over half of the municipalities as their consulting engineer. This office predominately performs water and waste water design. In January 1995, David H. Widmer was named President of the firm, succeeding his father. During 1995, the firm acquired Engelhardt-Power and Associates Inc. and established a presence in Washington County, PA. In December 2000, the firm obtained controlling interest (80%) in R.B. Shannon & Associates, Inc. The remaining 20% interest has since been acquired. The firm has always strived to provide a quality service at a reasonable fee. Keeping up with current technology, although costly, has been a tremendous asset to both our organization and our clients. We have found no project to be too large or small. This has proven to be an additional fundamental difference between Widmer Engineering Inc. and other similar firms. We expect to provide each and every client with the same service, regardless of contract value. This is extremely important to us and we want each client to choose our organization because they know who we are, our excellent prior performances and our desire to satisfy each and every client.